Introducing the 35 projects that have been officially shortlisted for the prestigious Beyond Sport Global Awards!
Selected from a record-breaking 400 entries covering 50+ sports, our judges had a tough job as the 2018 entries represent our most diverse range of sports, countries and social issues to date!
The 2018 shortlisted projects encompass 33 countries, 23 sports and 10 categories: from challenging injustice, racism and violence through football; to using basketball to improve health; to cleaning up plastics from oceans through sailing; to providing women with economic opportunities through sport tourism, this year’s shortlist represents some of the most exciting, innovative and inspiring ways sport is being used to change lives for the better. "On behalf of the Beyond Sport Foundation and our judges, congratulations to our 10th anniversary Beyond Sport Global Awards Official Shortlist. This year’s group was especially competitive, so the organizations and individuals should be very proud of their achievement. We are grateful to be able to provide the opportunity to not only promote sport through our Global Awards, but also to continue to bring like-minded people together as resources for each other and to share ways that sport is and can be used to make the UN Sustainable Development Goals a reality,” said Nick Keller, Founder and President, Beyond Sport.
Meet the Beyond Sport Awards 2018 Official Shortlist:
Sport for Health and Well-being Award
- Basketball Health Corps - Shooting Touch Rwanda
- Let’s Play Together To Reach Further / Ann Jwe Ansanm Pou Rive Pi Lwen - GOALS Haiti Haiti
- Promoting Health and Well-being through Inclusive Sport - ISF Cambodia Cambodia
Sport for Quality Education and Employment Award, supported by SAP
- Training for a Marathon, Training for Life - Students Run America USA
- Women Economic Empowerment Through Sport Tourism - 3 Sisters Adventure Trekking Nepal
- Open Doors to Inclusion - Rodrigo Mendes Institute Brazil
Sport for Equality Award
- Umoya Sports - The Umoya Foundation India
- Gender Based Violence Survivor Support - Sport In Action Zambia
- Rugby for the Emancipation of Young Girls - Terres en Mêlées France, Togo, Burkina-Faso, Morocco, Madagascar, Cambodia
- Forming a Team for Equality - DIDESEX Mexico
Sport for Innovation and Tech Award
- 4th Family: Court Science - 4th Family USA
- Online Transparent Impact Dashboard - Street League UK
- Looking for a Place to Dream - GAME Lebanon
Sport for Peace and Social Justice Award
- Challenging Injustice, Racism and Violence in South Africa through futsal - training4changes South Africa
- Fundacion Espartanos Argentina
- Pledge United - FootballPlus Indonesia
Best Partnership or Collaboration in Sport for Good Award
- Football and Cutting Edge HIV Research - Vijana Amani Pamoja and Medical University of South Carolina Kenya and USA
- Hockey’s Declaration of Principles - NHL Global
- Sweat For Good - Positive Tracks USA
- Get Out Get Active - Activity Alliance UK
Sport for Climate Action Award
- PlanLED SHINE, New York Yankees & Green Sports Alliance: Shedding Light on Climate Action & Communities - Green Sports Alliance Foundation USA
- NHL Green USA, Canada
- Beyond the Green Pitch - UEFA Foundation for Children Brazil
Sport for Sustainable Cities & Communities Award
- Burnley FC in the Community UK, Malaysia, China
- Fútbol Más Barrios - Fútbol Más Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay, Haiti, México, Kenya, France
- Plymouth Hope UK, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Mali
- Developing Game-Changing Skills Among Children & Youth in Rural South Africa - Thanda South Africa
Best Corporate Campaign or Initiative in Sport for Good
- iStage 3 and European STEM League - SAP Global
- BOKS Closing the Fitness Gap - Reebok Global
- Clean Seas - "Turn The Tide On Plastic" - Volvo Ocean Race Global
Global Impact of the Year
- #WhatsYourLegacy - Coaches Across Continents
- Global Goals World Cup
- It’s a Penalty Campaign 2018
- Sport for Peace - Generations for Peace
On September 12, representatives of each of the organizations will attend the 10th annual Beyond Sport Global Awards ceremony at One World Observatory, where the winners of each category will be announced. Attended by sports celebrities, business leaders and development visionaries, the Global Awards celebrate, support, raise awareness and provide funding through the Beyond Sport Foundation. On the night we will also present special accolades, including: the Courageous Use of Sport Award, supported by WWE; the Sport for Quality Education and Employment Award, supported by SAP; and an award for the project that best uses sport to address the global refugee crisis, supported by Generation Amazing. Two special community recognition grants will also be awarded in partnership with Xiaomi to members of the official shortlist who best demonstrate innovation and inclusion. All shortlisted organizations will also receive a custom business support package from experts in the business, sport and development sectors to help strengthen their organizations through mentoring and fundraising tools.
In this our 10th anniversary year, the Beyond Sport Foundation will award more than $350,000 to organizations that are using sport to help make the UN Sustainable Development Goals a reality. Since 2008, the Foundation has supported 200+ organizations worldwide, providing $1.5M+ in funds, and distributing $7 million+ in long-term strategic support through the Global Awards.
The day after the awards, our Beyond Sport United conference will bring together 400+ industry leaders and global shapers across sport, development, business, government and academia to explore innovations in how sport is being used to drive social change in communities across the globe - all with a special focus on youth engagement, leadership and social action. Click here to purchase your tickets to join us at the Beyond Sport United and Global Awards.
The Beyond Sport Global Awards are made possible by Official Supporters, Comic Relief, ESPN, Chivas Regal, Swedish Postcode Foundation and Xiaomi, Award Category Partners, WWE, Generation Amazing and SAP, and Host Partner, Legends. Business support packages are provided by Upshot, GivenGain, YouTube, TrustLaw and the George Washington University Sport Philanthropy Certificate Program.