Passionate about the power of sport? Want to tell the world?
Then take this opportunity to join Beyond Sport and thinkBeyond as a Senior Event Manager!
Location: New York – with international travel required in order to fulfil work-related duties
Start date: ASAP - initial 6-month contract with potential to be made permanent
Reports to: Director of Programming and Development
Salary: Dependent on experience
The Senior Event Manager will form part of the operations team leading the Beyond Sport portfolio of international events, including Beyond Sport House, Beyond Sport Global Awards, 10Roundtables, Beyond Innovation and Beyond Sport UK. They will also be responsible for the project and event management of a variety of thinkBeyond client projects throughout the year.
As part of a small team, the successful candidate will also be involved in all aspects of each business, including partner and sponsor management, budgeting, brand positioning, marketing & comms and content.
1. Project and Event Management
Delivery of exceptional events from conception through to completion, including work on venue sourcing and management, delegate experience, AV, production, branding, print materials and suppliers
2. Budget Management
Developing and managing comprehensive and consistent operational budgets for each project or event, understanding revenue streams for each project and striving to save on direct event costs wherever possible
3. Venue Relationships
Develop and maintain relationships with key event venues in and around the New York area. In addition to existing relationships, there will be an expectation for this individual to bring their own knowledge and experience of venue spaces
4. Branding Management
Create and deliver a branding concept for each event, working with a designer and print supplier to create and install impactful venue branding that emphasises the theming and creative for each project
5. Team Management (during event phase)
Lead and directly manage each member of the working team for events. Deliver detailed and bespoke team briefings and staffing plans as well as travel and on-site schedules
- A minimum of four years event experience, which must include large-scale events (400+)
- Multi-day event experience is desirable
- A comprehensive understanding of budget management
- Strong experience in working with a variety of venue types
- Knowledge and understanding of working alongside third-party suppliers, including negotiation and on-site management
- Excellent written and verbal communication, as well as the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Managing large teams on event days
What we are looking for in this individual:
- Commitment and belief in the ability of sport to create social change
- Strong desire to achieve success through exemplary standards that run through everything they do
- Ability to remain calm, focused and professional under pressure, with the ability to problem solve on the spot
- Flexibility to work to different time zones depending on where the project is located
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work to tight deadlines and flexibility to work unusual hours during event phases
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently and effectively on projects running concurrently
- A team player who is always willing to pitch in wherever necessary to get the job done – teamwork runs through everything that we do
About Beyond Sport and thinkBeyond
Beyond Sport is the global force for sustainable social change through sport, instilling energy, insight and impact in communities around the world. We deliver events and build networks educating the world on sport’s role in society; we promote and advocate for key social issues; and we celebrate and fund projects using sport to achieve positive outcomes around the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
thinkBeyond is Beyond Sport’s sister company, which provides strategic consultancy to brands, sports teams, leagues, sports federations, talent and governments who want to do good business and create positive social change.
Together, Beyond Sport and thinkBeyond have delivered events and activated client partnerships around the world. Our global footprint, comprising over 2,500 organizations, in 148 countries, working with 40 sports, gives us the insight, experience, credibility and network to deliver impactful strategies, robust project management and compelling events.
What it’s like to work with us
We’re constantly growing, innovating, creating and delivering. And while we have offices on two continents (NYC and London) and deliver projects in cities all over the world, we are a team that is close-knit, caring and dedicated – both to our work and to supporting each other. We travel to amazing places together and deliver ground-breaking events for exciting clients, or together with forward-thinking partners.
We witness first-hand how sport can change lives, but we are also integrated in the commercial and business side of sport and social responsibility. This puts us in a unique position. Since our inception in 2009, we’ve never had a year like the one previous. Every year is different – new cities, projects, partners. That said, every year, there is more and more to do – and yet we still deliver to the highest standard.
We want people to work with us who find this environment exciting and meaningful. Who see opportunities everywhere. Who always think we can do better. And who have fresh and new perspectives on how the world should be doing things.
Key 2019 Event Dates
Beyond Sport House – September 10-13 (New York)
Beyond Sport Awards – September 12 (New York)
Beyond Innovation – November 14 & 15 (Los Angeles)
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role and your salary expectations to [email protected]
Deadline for applications: Midnight, July 9