October 28, 2022
On November 17, Beyond Sport is excited to return to Yankee Stadium in New York for our flagship Beyond Sport United summit, which this year will focus on Sport in the New Era of Social Justice across the United States.
Since the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, the lens on inequity has sharpened driven, in part, by the increased visibility of the systemic challenges that many communities and populations face across the country daily. Social justice is centered around fairness in relations between individuals and equal access to wealth, opportunities and social privileges across all aspects of society. However, whether it involves racial and gender inequality, health and wealth disparities, environmental impacts or policy and infrastructure, inequality is on the rise.
- There are vastly limited opportunities and stark inequities between white and non-white Americans
- 69.1% of total wealth was owned by the top 10% of earners, while the bottom 50% of earners only owned 2.8% in the first quarter of 2022
- Millions of women cannot access abortion services and face shrinking access to contraception
- People with disabilities and people from some racial and ethnic minority groups, rural areas and white populations with lower incomes are more likely to face multiple barriers to accessing health care.
- More than half of LGBTQ youth reported experiencing discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity from 2020-2021
- People of color are far more likely to live in areas with higher rates of air pollution, toxic waste facilities, landfills and lead poisoning
- Voter turnout has historically been low as compared to other democracies with many structural barriers in the voting system disenfranchising minorities
Thankfully we are also seeing increasing calls for action against intolerance, powerful protests, a resurgence in activism and a renewed focus on civic participation with the world of sport playing a heightened role. Teams, leagues, athletes, development nonprofits and affiliated organizations are actively working to better listen and use their platforms in service to their communities, players, fans and employees.
With a focus on authenticity and effectiveness, there is a huge opportunity for the sector to fuel further investment in resources and initiatives to uplift, educate, stimulate action and change mindsets with a specific focus on historically marginalized populations. The interactive day will address how sports organizations can contribute to creating a more equitable and just society while investing in partners and partnerships that are making tangible and sustainable change. And, of equal importance, how organizational values and activations can drive this work while meeting the needs of the next generation of fans.
Beyond Sport United 2022 will engage social justice leaders from both outside and inside the sport sector to target three key areas:
-Civic Engagement: Leveraging sport’s platform and assets to galvanize volunteerism, citizen participation, inclusion, activism and advocacy.
-Health & Wellbeing: Addressing systemic health inequity in the US by using sport as a platform to advocate for policy change and through the creation and implementation of community partnerships.
-Climate & Environmental Justice: Realizing sport’s potential to address climate change and environmental racism and improve the lives of people from communities most affected by these issues, encompassing infrastructure, internal best practices, program delivery and advocacy.
Speakers and Case Study leaders will contextualize and educate on social justice in the United States and what that means locally; explore both proven and new ways to accelerate impact through sport; and, showcase current campaigns and best practice from peers -- all while elevating collaboration to drive deeper change.
9:00 AM: Registration
10:00 AM: Welcoming Remarks
- Fred Turner, Executive Director, Beyond Sport
- Debbie Tymon, Senior Vice President - Marketing, New York Yankees
- Radha Balani, Co-Managing Director thinkBeyond; Event MC
10:15 AM: Understanding Our Communities – Setting the Scene of Social Justice in the US
- Carol Jenkins, Journalist, Activist & Author; Board Member and former President & CEO, ERA Coalition and the Fund for Women's Equality
10:35 AM: Leveraging Sport Part I: Collective Action in Civic Engagement
- Ambassador A. Shabaaz, Diplomat, Lecturer & Professor; Beyond Sport Board of Directors
- Melissa Potter, Vice President, Strategy and Impact - Content for Change, Paramount
- Minky Worden, Director of Global Initiatives, Human Rights Watch
- Moderated by: Karen Given, Executive Producer, The Long Game
11:20 AM: Networking
11:40 AM: Leveraging Sport Part II: Collective Action to Promote Health and Wellbeing
- Angela Woods, Senior Director, Corporate Citizenship, ESPN
- Dr. Monica Ponder PhD, MS, MSPH, Assistant Professor, Health Communication & Culture, Howard University
- Coss Marte, CEO/Founder, CONBODY
- Dr. Erica Willheim, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, NYU Langone
- Moderated by: Radha Balani, Co-Managing Director, thinkBeyond
12:25 PM: Leveraging Sport Part III: Collective Action to Deliver Environmental Justice
- Tanner Haid, Senior Manager, Urban Forestry, One Tree Planted
- Rob Hagedorn, Head of U.S. Events, Sail GP
- Anjali Kwatra, Director of Advocacy, Marketing & Communications, UNDP
- Colin Vernon, Co-Founder & Chief Innovation Officer, Slow Factory
- Moderated by: Radha Balani, Co-Managing Director, thinkBeyond
1:10 PM: Networking Lunch
2:30 PM: Table-Top Best Practice Case Studies led by:
- Civic Engagement - NHL & Headcount; Dallas Wings Community Foundation
- Health & Well-Being - NFL & American Cancer Society: Crucial Catch; Formula 1 Las Vegas Grand Prix; the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation; Get Fit Fly Right; EVERFI
- Climate & Environmental Justice - One Tree Planted; The Golden State Warriors; NYCFC
4:05 PM: Champions of Change: Athlete Activism in the New Era of Social Justice
- Chris Dickerson, Former MLB Outfielder; Co-Founder, Players for the Planet
- Tajay Ashmeade, Professional Basketball Player, Olympic Qualifier; Founder, Taking the LEAP
- Moderated by: Joanne Pasternack, President & CEO, Oliver + Rose LLC
4:30 PM: Closing Remarks
- Nick Keller, Founder, Beyond Sport
4:35 PM: Drinks Reception
Beyond Sport would like to thank our partners for their generous support.
Beyond Sport United 2022 is invite-only. If you’re interested in sponsorship opportunities, please contact [email protected].