July 25, 2019
This year’s Beyond Sport Global Awards Shortlist of 29 standouts covers 37 countries across six continents using more than 40 sports to positively impact communities around the world and to move us all further towards achieving the UN Global Goals by 2030. #SameTeam
The entries represent truly innovative ways sport is being used to change lives across a variety of social issues, including: tackling violence, injustice and discrimination in South Africa through futsal; changing the perception of women in Papua New Guinea through rugby; boosting college and career readiness through basketball in the US; and promoting inclusion of young people with disabilities through baseball in Brazil - just to name a few.
“Every year, we are more impressed by the incredibly innovative ways organizations are leveraging sport to drive change in their communities,” said Nick Keller, Beyond Sport Founder and President. “We understand the tremendous amount of effort it takes to mobilize and contribute to local and global impact and are once again grateful for the opportunity to champion the visionaries responsible for utilizing sport to make the world a better place.”
Specially selected from hundreds of entries, Beyond Sport is excited to bring the entire shortlist to New York from September 11 – 13 to learn from each other and from leaders and innovators the world over during Beyond Sport House. And to help strengthen their organizations, all shortlisters will also receive custom business support packages from experts in the field.
On the evening of September 12, the winners will be announced at an inspirational ceremony hosted by SAP and attended by sports celebrities, business leaders and development visionaries. On behalf of the Beyond Sport Foundation and our judges, congratulations to the 2019 Beyond Sport Global Awards Official Shortlist!
MEET THE SHORTLIST
- Shakti Girls, Krida Vikas Sanstha Nagpur & Slum Soccer - India
- Kicking Out Malaria, ISAIAH 58 Care Foundation - Nigeria
- Aktive Jèn Yo, GOALS Haiti - Haiti
- Open Doors to Inclusion, Rodrigo Mendes Institute - Brazil
- Surfing for a Better Future, Fundacion Amigos del Mar - Colombia
- "Nashatati” Jordan Schools Programme, Generations For Peace - Jordan
- Dallaglio RugbyWorks - UK
- New Heights College Bound, New Heights Inc - USA
- Girls Power Punch, Boxgirls Kenya - Kenya
- Teaming up for Social Transformation, GOALS Armenia - Armenia
- The Bicycle to Generate Gender Equality for the Girls of Soacha, Ninas sin Miedo - Colombia
- Using Adventure Sports to Develop Female Leaders, Free To Run - Afghanistan and Iraq
- Women's Sport Leadership Academy - Global
- Careers of Meaning Through Sport, Sport Dans La Ville - France
- Kick4Life Social Enterprises, Kick4Life - Lesotho
- Street Sports Incubator, GAME - Jordan
- Fight With Insight - South Africa
- CDE Dragones de Lavapies - Spain
- GAME House - Denmark
- love.fútbol - Global
- Pledge United, Inspire - Indonesia
- University of Tennessee Center for Sport, Peace, and Society - USA
- 2019 Exploitation and Trafficking Prevention Campaign, It’s a Penalty - USA
- Peace is My Utopia, UTOPÍA A.C. - Mexico
- training4changeS - South Africa
- Power Meri, Media Stockade - Papua New Guinea
- Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka - South Africa
- WWE & Special Olympics - Global
- Siemens Gamesa - India
And stay tuned this August for the official shortlist announcement for our Courageous Use of Sport Award presented by WWE and the winners our new Collective Impact Awards supported by The DICK's Sporting Goods Foundation and the Swedish Postcode Foundation! Altogether, the Beyond Sport Foundation will be investing $600K in our 11th year to recognize and drive collaboration among the world’s best in sport for social change.
The Beyond Sport Foundation extends a special thank you to the following organizations which are providing cash funding and/or business support for the winners: Official Supporters Chivas Regal, Comic Relief and ESPN, Category Partner WWE, Collective Impact Award Funders The DICK's Sporting Goods Foundation and the Swedish Postcode Foundation, Business Support Package Partners GivenGain, TrustLaw and Upshot, and Host Partner SAP.
Please join us in New York in September to celebrate! Click here to learn more and to purchase your tickets.
Make sure you subscribe to our mailing list to receive our latest news in the lead up to the Awards and beyond!